This site has been occupied by a public house since the 1500’s. The current building is Grade II listed and was constructed in 1910. It has been subject to several unsympathetic structural alterations throughout its life.
The building had been unoccupied for nearly 10 years, resulting in varying degrees of deterioration of the building fabric and underlying structure, requiring a rigorous approach to understanding the building in order to demonstrate both structural and commercial viability for refurbishment and re-use as residential accommodation.
By undertaking detailed surveys at the start and, where necessary, proposing opening-up works and material testing, a clear understanding of the capacity of the existing structure was developed. Based on this understanding, we have been able to advise the client and design team on how new interventions could be accommodated to minimise structural works. Where necessary, we have worked closely with timber and damp specialists to address localised deterioration of the timber due to wet and dry rot.
At renaissance, we have a detailed understanding of historic materials and construction techniques that has been key to the White Lion’s commercial delivery. It has enabled the justification of an additional floor within the dance hall without the requirement for enhanced structural or foundation works.
- Change of use of existing Grade II listed building dating from 1903, with new core, floor infills, stone & timber façade structural repairs.
- Change of use of existing Public House to create 11 luxury apartments and A3 use at the ground and basement levels, incorporating infill floors and a new core.
- Sympathetic repair of exiting half-timber frame and internal structure due to years of neglect and water ingress.